Beijing, CHINA: A toddler barely escaped a tragic end when he took Alice in Wonderland’s White Rabbit’s advice and literally tried to “feed (his) head.” 14-month old Li Jingchao allegedly attempted to insert a pot sticker into his nose when he fell, sending the chopstick deep into his small skull. No mention was made of what became of the dumpling.
Jingchao’s mother, Zhao Guilu, who was out of the room when the accident occurred, said “I was washing dishes. I rushed in and saw him lying on the ground. He couldn’t stop crying and I noticed a chopstick stuck in his nose.”
A local clinic turned her away, saying the child’s condition was too perilous. The family then drove hundreds of miles to Beijing, where an emergency surgical team safely removed the projectile.
According to CNN, “Doctors said if the chopstick had gone any further in it would have caused life threatening bleeding and if it was a little more to either side the boy may have been permanently paralyzed.”
Fortunately, Li Jingchao is expected to fully recover. I made up the part about “Alice in Wonderland,” the White Rabbit and the dumpling. As cruel as it may seem, I just couldn’t resist.